Friday, June 12, 2009

Chasing Happiness


Happiness is most often defined as something we pursue, like a dog chasing a car. In a recent post on the NY Times blog Happy Days, the author Pico Iver writes, "If you are the kind of person who prefers freedom to security, who feels more comfortable in a small room than a large one and who finds that happiness comes from matching your wants to your needs, then running to stand still isn't where your joy lies."

I'm fascinated by people who mark their own path through the world, though I often wonder if it leads them to the elusive thing called happiness. In this post and future ones, I'll share some places I've come across interesting approaches to that pursuit. Like me, you probably won't feel an urge to run off and live a monastic life like Iver's--he doesn't have a car, television, bicycle, cell phone or computer, and lives in a two-room apartment in Kyoto, Japan--but you might see the patterns in your own days in a more objective light, and discover a sense of satisfaction in using your own time in more satisfying ways. Iver's post and others can be found under my Favorite Blogs sidebar under Happy Days.

No comments:

Post a Comment