Sunday, August 16, 2009

On The Media

George F. Will has many fans, but apparently he doesn't drink wine with any of them. Although he is pithy during the Sunday morning roundtables, he does get to write a proper column of 750 words. I, on the other hand, have been asked by two of my readers to make my posts shorter. Oh, and to be funny. Well, not bloody likely on the latter, but I'll do my best on the former, since I am not the national treasure the Bow-Tied One is, although I am sure such a characterization would elicit a wry denial from him. A pithy phrase, I have no doubt.

So, a recommendation. My very favorite National Public Radio show is On The Media. It's criticism in the traditional sense of the word, in that it takes apart the big machine feeding all of us information 24/7. It doesn't make fun of media, although the host, Bob Garfield, whose official bio states that he is "...not a media whore, though he is quite promiscuous," is hilarious. The most interesting bits, at least for me, are those speculating on the new media model. One thing is for sure, from listening to OTM and from reading Garfield's book (the first several chapters of which are not incidentally available for free online) the Chaos Scenario, is that print media, radio and television, at least as we know them now, will soon be gone for good. NPR included, he does not hestiate to write.

So, if you haven't stopped reading because you've skipped over to You Tube and are watching Miley Cyrus pole dance for the hundredth time, have a look at http://www.onthemedia.org/. Download a podcast and let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment