Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Is Your Life Replete? Five Questions to Ask.

Life is noisy and invasive.  (See this month's Wired for an account of how one reporter tried to disappear.  For real.  Fascinating.)  It's hard to manage when so many things are coming at us--I often feel like I spend my days trying, generally in vain, to mark things off my list.  A week can hurtle by and I wonder what exactly I've done. 

In an effort to wring some meaning out of my days before I spend my mornings grunting at the newspaper (not the print version, but I fear, after a week with my parents, the senior citizen impulse will persist) about how the world has gone to hell in a handbasket, I've devised a few questions I ask myself on Friday evenings as I pour myself a glass of grape and ponder my activities, if I can recall them, from the past seven days.  I'll share my perspective on each in the posts to follow.

  • When I wake up in the morning, what is my first thought about the day before me?
  • Is there at least one thing I look forward to doing every day?
  • Are there rituals in my life that consistently bring me fulfillment?
  • Do I have the energy to do the things I wish I could do?
  • When I think about my goals, are they something I can reach within two years, or are they "someday" ideas?
I hope you'll share your ideas with me, even before mine are posted.

3 comments:

  1. • that it's another chance
    • yes, being with my children
    • maybe, but perhaps not so fulfilling
    • YES, ample amounts
    • Yes, within two years

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you're doing well. I envy your ample energy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't you think first thoughts in the morning vary with circumstances? I was amazed at how happy I was this morning just because the sun is shining! And this is the day I'm not going to put my nose outside! Should indeed have been yesterday!

    ReplyDelete