Friday, July 2, 2010

Summer Fun

My children are back in the house after nearly three full weeks away at their father's.  They bounded up the steps last evening and waved at their dad and his SO, then came in with full bags and big hugs.  Suddenly the house, which had been so quiet and orderly, was filled with their energy.  I hadn't realized until that moment how much I'd missed them, and I got a flash of how it will be when they come back for holidays once they leave the nest.  I resolved to savor our time together even when things get crazy during the school year.

For now, they are out of school and we're excited about our upcoming trip to Washington, DC.  We'll take in all the sights and also ride the train to NYC for a day.  Last year we went to Chicago, their first big city trip, but this year they seem so much older and more sophisticated to me.  They've got the idea about looking at the Fodor's and figuring out what they really want to do, and they are happy we're flying and not doing an overnight roadtrip, Dad-style.  Gone are the days of Benadryl and Goldfish and hoping the timing would jive with their nap and diaper schedules so entire planeloads of people wouldn't scowl at me. 

I have them for an entire month, and it seems to me that summer has finally really started, even though it's been a hundred degrees in Texas since Memorial Day.  For those of you celebrating Canada Day, I hope you've taken a long weekend.  And for those who are looking forward to the Fourth of July, have a safe and happy holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment