Wednesday, December 29, 2010

What 2010 Taught Me

My year is ending up on a great note: a new opportunity at work has made the sky in my little world a very happy color.  My children are happy and healthy, which I vow to never take for granted.  My romantic life shows promise, though no fairy tales exist at mid-life.  Friends, kids, home and work (a place to go every day is very good for me) have let me see it's just a piece of who I am.

It's always strange to try and remember where I was a year ago, but upon thinking it through this evening on my walk--it's an unusually balmy (even for North Texas) 70 degrees, which has no doubt also affected my mood--this is my very limited wisdom, based on my own year and a few nuggets from those close to me:

  • If an opportunity keeps presenting itself, take it.  Even if you think you can't do it.
  • We all get chances we don't deserve. You're as worthy as anyone. Say thank you, and make the most of what life hands you.
  • Opportunities can be chased.  Relationships can't.
  • Really bad things happen to people who don't deserve them at all.  It's not contagious, so do what you can to help. 
  • Saying you're sick of something isn't the same as saying what it is you want.
  • Figuring out what you really want is the hardest part of getting it.
  • Every single person has one major issue they struggle with their entire life.  Maybe you only have to manage it, not fix it.
  • Make an assumption about a person's character, positive or otherwise, and you will almost always be wrong.
  • Everything doesn't need to be done right now.  On thorny issues, wait, or call someone you trust.
  • Re-read everything before you send it. Three times.
  • Life is full of surprises.  Some of them are nice.
  • Overprepare, and go with the flow. (I need to learn this one every year.)
Happy 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment